Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A More Perfect Union

Here is my view of the formation of the United States of America. The people who first came to the new world from England and Europe came to establish a place where they could worship God. I believe that God provide them with the land and the form of government because they were His people intent on serving and worshipping Him. Other than a true theocracy* a democratic republic is the most perfect form of government possible – “a more perfect union,” but it required that those who represent the people be totally selfless servants of the people. That is why the term “election” was born. The people selected who they though was the most “elect” according to biblical standards. Their Christianity and their devotion to God gave them the possibility of having the kind of character that would fulfill those standards. For a while the people attempted to elect the most devout believers to represent them and God blessed the nation. Was this true in every case? No. But it was true in most cases. As a matter of fact, just like with God and free will, a democracy has the possibility that non-believers would slip through to represent their people.

Herein is the problem with America today. The further we as a nation get from the standards by which a democratic republic must operate to be a good form of government, the more fraught with problems we have. People reject God and demand a humanistic secular society and He will give them their desire, but to the detriment of the nation. Our nation was at one time a Christian nation. It is no longer. As a Christian nation we had the favor of Almighty God. As a secular society we have only our collective human mentality, which falls short. If the biblical standard that all knowledge begins with an understanding and awe of God is upheld, all secular knowledge that rejects God is no knowledge at all, much less wisdom. Left to man’s own mentality and understanding human society has always deteriorated into an abyss of immorality, degradation, and destruction. The further we move from God, the lower we sink. Our wealth or military might or anything else cannot help us. There comes a point, a line that is crossed where God stands back and says, “OK, if you want to do it yourself, go ahead. I will get out of the way and let you.” Sound familiar? Then we fall flat on our face because to be “a more perfect union” we need God’s help. We simply don’t have the capabilities to do it right ourselves regardless of how “enlightened” we may become.

6 comments:

Patrick O'Shea said...

What are you talking about? Jamestown was the first permanent English settlement in 1607. It was backed by a bunch of speculators called the London Company who were hoping to make a profit on their investment in the colony. Making money was the primay motive for coming here.

The Pilgrims didn't show up until 1620. Now they did come over looking for a place to practice their religious beliefs. But it sounds like you are confusing them with the founding fathers. The Pilgrims didn't write the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution.

The problem with America today is people like you who think they are being discrimanted against because they can't force their religious beliefs on every one around them. The government guarantees your right to worship as you choose. Why can't you appreciate that priviledge and leave others alone?

JTA said...

The founding fathers were an outgrowth of the Pilgrims and other religious groups who came to the new world for religious freedom. Yes, others did come for other reasons, but they were religious people also. It was men with the same goals, and faith as the Pilgrims who did write the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.

Not everyone has to accept the same faith that I have, unfortunately for them. I don't feel discriminated against because I can't (and by the way, I won't force my beliefs on anyone else because it would do no good)"force" my belief on someone else, but I do feel discriminated against when I am not allowed to express by beliefs in the same manner as those who express their beliefs which are more acceptable in our present political climate. I have the right to express my beliefs. I think the Constitution guarantees that also, though some would like to take that right away from people with certain beliefs, like fundamental Christians (by the way, the term "fundamentalist" is used in a derogatory manner, but it simply means accepting the fundamentals of the faith). I appreciate the priviledge to worship as I choose. One of the ways that I worship is by sharing Christ with other people. There are those who want to hear. If you don't, just don't listen. I also have the right to share Christ with others. They have the right to listen and you have the right not to. There is no one "cramming religion down their throats" as some so graphically describe the feeling they get when anyone shares their faith.

Patrick O'Shea said...

When have you never been allowed to express your beliefs? And who are "those" who are allowed to? If you went into a public school and started preaching to a bunch of children, I could understand why you would be asked to leave. I could also understand why you wouldn't be allowed to put the ten comandments up at the court house. But you can go out on a street corner and preach to top of your lungs. You can go banging on doors trying to harvest souls and rack up points in heaven all day long. You can paint bible verses all over you car (like some one in this town has done) and park it in various places in the city hoping to influence people. Every time you write a blog post you express your beliefs.

Who is trying to take away the rights of fundamentalist Christians? Name some one.

As for not listening to those who want to share Christ, I wish it was that easy. One day a guy banged on my door and started into his spiel and I said "Wait a minute, I'm not interested." He said "You're not interested in saving your immortal soul?" I said "Nope." He said "You want to burn in hell?" I could see what was coming, he wanted to argue. I had no interest in arguing with him because no one's mind would be changed. I just closed the door and went back in the house. Luckily most of the door bangers who come through my neighborhood know my house and have given up on me. But every once in a while some one new comes knocking and I have tell them to go away. You guys have a right to knock on doors and I have a right to close them on you.

JTA said...

There are those who want to limit my free speech especially if I talk about my faith, my beliefs, or even my perspective when it does not line up with theirs. If I oppose the gay agenda, for instance, I am called a hater. If I express my faith there are some who want me to be quiet, for instance the guy that wanted the Yakima Herald editors to eliminate letters he thought were too preachy. We do have freedom of religion, but those against fundamental Christianity would like to have all speech about Christ eliminated from the public discourse.

Now, as far as the guy who came to your door, I admit that there are some zealots who are out of line. They are doing themselves nor anyone else any good by badgering other people. I would be upset at them also, like the guy who came to my house trying to sell an alarm system and when I told him I was not interested he kept going on and on until I had to tell him to leave. There are those kinds of people in every group. I place in this group those who want to make the whole country bend to their wishes, like those who want to alter the pledge of allegiance or to take "In God We Trust" off of the money. They want to trample everyone else's rights to exercise their own.

I love your "people like you" statements when you really don't know me. It is like saying "You People" to an audience of black people. They take offense, but it seems to be OK to lump me in with the guy who came to your door. I have also had people say that it was "people like you (me)" who would make our nation a theocracy, meaning like an Islamic state. I do believe that the best form of government it a kingdom with a perfect King such as Jesus Christ will be when He returns. Again, "People like me" are not the problem in America. It is Christians who paved the way for the rights we have in this nation. I even spent 25 years of military service to defend those rights, though I am seeing them eroded by the left today.

It is Christianity that gave people the right to worship as they please, to have freedom of speech, and to have basic human rights. You have yours and I have mine. If you don't like what I have to say, you can discuss it with me as we are doing here, or you can not read my blog or talk to me or in any other way communicate.

D R Wilson said...

..."One of the ways that I worship is by sharing Christ with other people. There are those who want to hear. If you don't, just don't listen. I also have the right to share Christ with others. They have the right to listen and you have the right not to."

I am going to take you at your word.

You choose to share your Christ...I will choose not to read.

Good luck.

JTA said...

That is your choice. Your Creator gave you free will to make that choice. He also gave consequences, but He gave you the right to ignore those also. Bob Dylan said it perfectly in his song "You Gotta Serve Somebody."